Pella Fiber Timeline
The Pella Fiber initiative got underway in 2018, with the goal of bringing a high-speed, fiber optic network to our community. Here’s an outline of the steps we’ve taken so far—and what’s happening next!
- With a support level of 92%, the citizens of Pella approved the creation of a telecommunications utility
- The City Council approved a contract with FARR Technologies to develop a business plan for Pella Fiber
- The Council and FARR Technologies completed the business plan
- The Council awarded a contract to NewCom Technologies to design the fiber-optic network and central offices for the new utility
- The Council approved a contract with Excel Utility Contractors for construction of the fiber-optic network. The Council also approved a contract with Edge Commercial for construction of a 16,500 square foot office facility, which will be shared by Pella Fiber and the City of Pella electric utility. The facility will be located on Truman Road, south of the current electric facility
- Pella residents began signing up for free site surveys and fiber installation. The surveys gave the City of Pella approval to install an underground fiber service line as part of the network construction project
- Excel Utility Contractors began construction on the fiber optic network. Work is projected to be finished by the end of the 2021 construction season
- Pella Fiber reached a milestone of more than 2,500 residents signed up for site surveys
- The City finalized an agreement with UnityPoint Health—Grinnell Regional Medical Center to connect to Pella Fiber’s provider at the Grinnell hospital’s facilities. This collaboration clears the way for the construction of 33.6 miles of fiber between the two cities, a critical step to providing the needed bandwidth to Pella residents
- The new facility for Pella Fiber and the electric utility will be complete
- Pella Fiber Services will be available!